For my Course 5 project I have developed a unit to work with a grade 2 class and their teacher. The goal of the unit is for the students to explore and develop their digital agency by responding to set tasks with a variety of digital tools. The aims of the unit will be to help students develop their independence to transfer their digital literacy skills independently when they are at home completing tasks for homework.
One of the reasons that we choose homework is because we wanted a safe environment for the students to be able to explore and develop in. By safe, we mean a place where the stresses of needing to complete a task for a formal assessment are not an element. Many times I am called in to help a teacher use technology only just as they are about to start a summative assessment task. I was thankful when this teacher, Beth, asked me to help her create a unit around building her student’s digital literacy without the stress of an assessment looming in the background for either the teacher or the students.
It also gives me a chance to develop her student’s digital literacy in line with the digital needs of the school. Our school is 1:1 BYOD in Grade 5, 1:1 Chromebooks in Grades 3 & 4. Beth is one of the two pilot classes in Grade 2 with 1:1 iPads. She is a teacher who has consistently looked for ways to improve both her own digital knowledge and that of her students.
The development of this unit also allows me to work closely with my new teammate. Ryan is new to the role of Tech Integrationist. By going through the process of planning, creating a unit and creating the resources allows us to get on the same page with how we work with teachers. This also gives us a chance to research and develop our digital skills to find the best tools and resources to use with the students.
I am looking forward to working closely with this teacher to develop and teach this unit with her.
To answer the questions for this week:
- Why do you think this unit is a good possibility for your Course 5 project?
- I think that this is a good possibility for Course 5 because this unit will allow me to help a variety of students move their digital knowledge from Substitution to Augmentation and Modification.
- The development of this unit will also allow the teacher to move her skills further. For many of the tasks she has moved into Augmentation, but helping her see the possibilities for moving her practice and her student’s skills into Modification in the areas that she is ready is something I am looking forward to helping her with.
- What are some of your concerns about redesigning this unit?
- Some of my concerns is that the step to paperless digital home learning will be too much too soon for many of the students and even more of the parents.
- I am also concerned that we will have parents who reject this change before their child has the chance to actually truly “live” it to find out if it will work.
- I have to manage my desire to go “all tech, all the time”. After all, they are still in 2nd grade and need to do fine motor work!
- What shifts in pedagogy will this new unit require from you?
- This does not require a major pedagogical shift for me personally. I think the largest shift will be for the parents. Seeing new ways that their children complete homework will give them yet another “eye” into their child’s classroom life.
- What skills and/or attitudes will this new unit require from your students?
- Digital Agency
- Self-Directed Learning
- Systems Thinking